Friday, July 11, 2008

Farewell Jean Geldart - our Comrade

On Thursday I had the honour of attending a Regional “leaving do” for Jean Geldart, a great trade unionist from whom I have learnt a great deal.

This was not the first occasion on which I was part of a group of dedicated trade unionists expressing our admiration for Jean and I know it won’t be the last.

Jean expressed her support for the tradition of campaigning lay leadership which has been the best of the London Region of our Union (and the Metropolitan District of one of its predecessors).

Jean exemplifies the solid and principled leadership which ordinary workers can give to our trade unions.

I think some photos were taken and I am guessing that you might see them here soon….

Friends of Jean will see her at the strike rally on the 16th!

1 comment:

Sean said...

I was a very good evening both Jean and David Eggmore gave excellent speeches that were humorous while ephasising the point of our union being lay member led. Jean was a class act and on more than one ocassion as a new Branch secretary I was grateful for her advice and support. Still those low pay exploiters better watch out now that she has more time on ehre hands!